Reporting guideline and clinical trial registration requirements in gastroenterology and hepatology journals

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

2 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Aim: The objective of this study was to evaluate the current recommendations and requirements of gastroenterology and hepatology journals concerning reporting guidelines and clinical trial registration. Current research on the topic is sparse and in need of further research in both clinical trial registration and guideline adherence. Methods: The authors performed a review of journal protocols and 'Instructions for Authors' regarding guideline adherence and trial registration requirements within 30 gastroenterology and hepatology journals. We searched the Expanded Science Citation Index of the 2015 Journal Citation Reports to determine if each journal required, recommended, or made no mention of 17 guidelines and clinical trial registration. Results: A majority (23/30; 76.7%) of the journals either required or recommended reporting guideline usage, whereas the remainder (7/30; 23.3%) had no such policy. In addition, 14 (14/30; 46.7%) require or recommend trial registration. Journals with a higher impact factor were associated with greater reporting guideline adherence (rpb = 0.43, P < 0.05). There was not a significant relationship between journal impact factor and trial registration requirements (rpb = 0.16, P > 0.05). Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials was the most often required guideline (9/30; 30%), whereas Animal Research: Reporting of In Vivo Experiments and Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses were tied for second most often required (6/30 each; 20% each). Clinical trial registration was most common via ClinicalTrials.gov (9/30; 30%). Conclusion: A majority of gastroenterology or hepatology journals either require or recommend reporting guideline usage, but just less than one-half of the journals did the same for trial registration.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)119-127
Number of pages9
JournalInternational Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare
Volume16
Issue number2
DOIs
StatePublished - 1 Jun 2018

Fingerprint

Gastroenterology
Clinical Trials
Guidelines
Guideline Adherence
Research
Meta-Analysis

Keywords

  • gastroenterology
  • hepatology
  • reporting guidelines
  • trial registration

Cite this

@article{1ce1a7069d0f4701951b6247180a0948,
title = "Reporting guideline and clinical trial registration requirements in gastroenterology and hepatology journals",
abstract = "Aim: The objective of this study was to evaluate the current recommendations and requirements of gastroenterology and hepatology journals concerning reporting guidelines and clinical trial registration. Current research on the topic is sparse and in need of further research in both clinical trial registration and guideline adherence. Methods: The authors performed a review of journal protocols and 'Instructions for Authors' regarding guideline adherence and trial registration requirements within 30 gastroenterology and hepatology journals. We searched the Expanded Science Citation Index of the 2015 Journal Citation Reports to determine if each journal required, recommended, or made no mention of 17 guidelines and clinical trial registration. Results: A majority (23/30; 76.7{\%}) of the journals either required or recommended reporting guideline usage, whereas the remainder (7/30; 23.3{\%}) had no such policy. In addition, 14 (14/30; 46.7{\%}) require or recommend trial registration. Journals with a higher impact factor were associated with greater reporting guideline adherence (rpb = 0.43, P < 0.05). There was not a significant relationship between journal impact factor and trial registration requirements (rpb = 0.16, P > 0.05). Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials was the most often required guideline (9/30; 30{\%}), whereas Animal Research: Reporting of In Vivo Experiments and Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses were tied for second most often required (6/30 each; 20{\%} each). Clinical trial registration was most common via ClinicalTrials.gov (9/30; 30{\%}). Conclusion: A majority of gastroenterology or hepatology journals either require or recommend reporting guideline usage, but just less than one-half of the journals did the same for trial registration.",
keywords = "gastroenterology, hepatology, reporting guidelines, trial registration",
author = "Austin Jorski and Jared Scott and Trace Heavener and Matt Vassar",
year = "2018",
month = "6",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1097/XEB.0000000000000135",
language = "English",
volume = "16",
pages = "119--127",
journal = "International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare",
issn = "1744-1595",
publisher = "Lippincott Williams and Wilkins Ltd.",
number = "2",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Reporting guideline and clinical trial registration requirements in gastroenterology and hepatology journals

AU - Jorski, Austin

AU - Scott, Jared

AU - Heavener, Trace

AU - Vassar, Matt

PY - 2018/6/1

Y1 - 2018/6/1

N2 - Aim: The objective of this study was to evaluate the current recommendations and requirements of gastroenterology and hepatology journals concerning reporting guidelines and clinical trial registration. Current research on the topic is sparse and in need of further research in both clinical trial registration and guideline adherence. Methods: The authors performed a review of journal protocols and 'Instructions for Authors' regarding guideline adherence and trial registration requirements within 30 gastroenterology and hepatology journals. We searched the Expanded Science Citation Index of the 2015 Journal Citation Reports to determine if each journal required, recommended, or made no mention of 17 guidelines and clinical trial registration. Results: A majority (23/30; 76.7%) of the journals either required or recommended reporting guideline usage, whereas the remainder (7/30; 23.3%) had no such policy. In addition, 14 (14/30; 46.7%) require or recommend trial registration. Journals with a higher impact factor were associated with greater reporting guideline adherence (rpb = 0.43, P < 0.05). There was not a significant relationship between journal impact factor and trial registration requirements (rpb = 0.16, P > 0.05). Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials was the most often required guideline (9/30; 30%), whereas Animal Research: Reporting of In Vivo Experiments and Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses were tied for second most often required (6/30 each; 20% each). Clinical trial registration was most common via ClinicalTrials.gov (9/30; 30%). Conclusion: A majority of gastroenterology or hepatology journals either require or recommend reporting guideline usage, but just less than one-half of the journals did the same for trial registration.

AB - Aim: The objective of this study was to evaluate the current recommendations and requirements of gastroenterology and hepatology journals concerning reporting guidelines and clinical trial registration. Current research on the topic is sparse and in need of further research in both clinical trial registration and guideline adherence. Methods: The authors performed a review of journal protocols and 'Instructions for Authors' regarding guideline adherence and trial registration requirements within 30 gastroenterology and hepatology journals. We searched the Expanded Science Citation Index of the 2015 Journal Citation Reports to determine if each journal required, recommended, or made no mention of 17 guidelines and clinical trial registration. Results: A majority (23/30; 76.7%) of the journals either required or recommended reporting guideline usage, whereas the remainder (7/30; 23.3%) had no such policy. In addition, 14 (14/30; 46.7%) require or recommend trial registration. Journals with a higher impact factor were associated with greater reporting guideline adherence (rpb = 0.43, P < 0.05). There was not a significant relationship between journal impact factor and trial registration requirements (rpb = 0.16, P > 0.05). Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trials was the most often required guideline (9/30; 30%), whereas Animal Research: Reporting of In Vivo Experiments and Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses were tied for second most often required (6/30 each; 20% each). Clinical trial registration was most common via ClinicalTrials.gov (9/30; 30%). Conclusion: A majority of gastroenterology or hepatology journals either require or recommend reporting guideline usage, but just less than one-half of the journals did the same for trial registration.

KW - gastroenterology

KW - hepatology

KW - reporting guidelines

KW - trial registration

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=85050223828&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1097/XEB.0000000000000135

DO - 10.1097/XEB.0000000000000135

M3 - Article

C2 - 29369075

AN - SCOPUS:85050223828

VL - 16

SP - 119

EP - 127

JO - International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare

JF - International Journal of Evidence-Based Healthcare

SN - 1744-1595

IS - 2

ER -