Fossil eggshells from the upper cretaceous (Campanian) fruitland formation, New Mexico

Kohei Tanaka, Darla K. Zelenitsky, Thomas Williamson, Anne Weil, François Therrien

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

12 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Approximately 1500 eggshell fragments were recovered from a vertebrate bonebed (NMMNH L-4010) in the late Campanian Fruitland Formation in northwestern New Mexico, a locality that represents one of the few southern occurrences of fossil eggshells in North America. Here, we present the first description of Campanian eggshells from New Mexico and identify six different eggshell types (Continuoolithus sp., Porituberoolithus sp., Testudoolithus sp., Prismatoolithus sp., krokolithid, indeterminate type) among the well-preserved fragments, which are attributable to dinosaurs, crocodilians and turtles. The taxonomic diversity of eggshells is comparable to the taxonomic diversity of animals represented by skeletal remains in the bonebed, which would have laid rigid-shelled eggs (i.e. dinosaurs, crocodilians and turtles). Eggshells of theropod dinosaurs are the most common and comprise approximately 85% of the eggshells, whereas those of crocodilians and turtles form the remaining 15%. Although bones of hadrosaurs and ceratopsians are well represented by skeletal remains at the locality, their eggshells have yet to be identified. The relative abundance of the taxa represented by eggshells at NMMNH L-4010, with those of theropods being by far the most common, is comparable to that observed in the more northern late Campanian microsites of Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)41-55
Number of pages15
JournalHistorical Biology
Volume23
Issue number1
DOIs
StatePublished - 1 Mar 2011

Fingerprint

Egg Shell
egg shell
fossils
Dinosaurs
Crocodylia
Turtles
turtles
Alberta
North America
Eggs
Vertebrates
vertebrates
bones
Bone and Bones

Keywords

  • Crocodilian
  • Eggshell
  • Fruitland formatio
  • Theropod dinosaur
  • Turtle
  • Vertebrate microsite

Cite this

Tanaka, Kohei ; Zelenitsky, Darla K. ; Williamson, Thomas ; Weil, Anne ; Therrien, François. / Fossil eggshells from the upper cretaceous (Campanian) fruitland formation, New Mexico. In: Historical Biology. 2011 ; Vol. 23, No. 1. pp. 41-55.
@article{ddb82615d5c34114838e482304d7396f,
title = "Fossil eggshells from the upper cretaceous (Campanian) fruitland formation, New Mexico",
abstract = "Approximately 1500 eggshell fragments were recovered from a vertebrate bonebed (NMMNH L-4010) in the late Campanian Fruitland Formation in northwestern New Mexico, a locality that represents one of the few southern occurrences of fossil eggshells in North America. Here, we present the first description of Campanian eggshells from New Mexico and identify six different eggshell types (Continuoolithus sp., Porituberoolithus sp., Testudoolithus sp., Prismatoolithus sp., krokolithid, indeterminate type) among the well-preserved fragments, which are attributable to dinosaurs, crocodilians and turtles. The taxonomic diversity of eggshells is comparable to the taxonomic diversity of animals represented by skeletal remains in the bonebed, which would have laid rigid-shelled eggs (i.e. dinosaurs, crocodilians and turtles). Eggshells of theropod dinosaurs are the most common and comprise approximately 85{\%} of the eggshells, whereas those of crocodilians and turtles form the remaining 15{\%}. Although bones of hadrosaurs and ceratopsians are well represented by skeletal remains at the locality, their eggshells have yet to be identified. The relative abundance of the taxa represented by eggshells at NMMNH L-4010, with those of theropods being by far the most common, is comparable to that observed in the more northern late Campanian microsites of Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta.",
keywords = "Crocodilian, Eggshell, Fruitland formatio, Theropod dinosaur, Turtle, Vertebrate microsite",
author = "Kohei Tanaka and Zelenitsky, {Darla K.} and Thomas Williamson and Anne Weil and Fran{\cc}ois Therrien",
year = "2011",
month = "3",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1080/08912963.2010.499171",
language = "English",
volume = "23",
pages = "41--55",
journal = "Historical Biology",
issn = "0891-2963",
publisher = "Taylor and Francis Ltd.",
number = "1",

}

Fossil eggshells from the upper cretaceous (Campanian) fruitland formation, New Mexico. / Tanaka, Kohei; Zelenitsky, Darla K.; Williamson, Thomas; Weil, Anne; Therrien, François.

In: Historical Biology, Vol. 23, No. 1, 01.03.2011, p. 41-55.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

TY - JOUR

T1 - Fossil eggshells from the upper cretaceous (Campanian) fruitland formation, New Mexico

AU - Tanaka, Kohei

AU - Zelenitsky, Darla K.

AU - Williamson, Thomas

AU - Weil, Anne

AU - Therrien, François

PY - 2011/3/1

Y1 - 2011/3/1

N2 - Approximately 1500 eggshell fragments were recovered from a vertebrate bonebed (NMMNH L-4010) in the late Campanian Fruitland Formation in northwestern New Mexico, a locality that represents one of the few southern occurrences of fossil eggshells in North America. Here, we present the first description of Campanian eggshells from New Mexico and identify six different eggshell types (Continuoolithus sp., Porituberoolithus sp., Testudoolithus sp., Prismatoolithus sp., krokolithid, indeterminate type) among the well-preserved fragments, which are attributable to dinosaurs, crocodilians and turtles. The taxonomic diversity of eggshells is comparable to the taxonomic diversity of animals represented by skeletal remains in the bonebed, which would have laid rigid-shelled eggs (i.e. dinosaurs, crocodilians and turtles). Eggshells of theropod dinosaurs are the most common and comprise approximately 85% of the eggshells, whereas those of crocodilians and turtles form the remaining 15%. Although bones of hadrosaurs and ceratopsians are well represented by skeletal remains at the locality, their eggshells have yet to be identified. The relative abundance of the taxa represented by eggshells at NMMNH L-4010, with those of theropods being by far the most common, is comparable to that observed in the more northern late Campanian microsites of Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta.

AB - Approximately 1500 eggshell fragments were recovered from a vertebrate bonebed (NMMNH L-4010) in the late Campanian Fruitland Formation in northwestern New Mexico, a locality that represents one of the few southern occurrences of fossil eggshells in North America. Here, we present the first description of Campanian eggshells from New Mexico and identify six different eggshell types (Continuoolithus sp., Porituberoolithus sp., Testudoolithus sp., Prismatoolithus sp., krokolithid, indeterminate type) among the well-preserved fragments, which are attributable to dinosaurs, crocodilians and turtles. The taxonomic diversity of eggshells is comparable to the taxonomic diversity of animals represented by skeletal remains in the bonebed, which would have laid rigid-shelled eggs (i.e. dinosaurs, crocodilians and turtles). Eggshells of theropod dinosaurs are the most common and comprise approximately 85% of the eggshells, whereas those of crocodilians and turtles form the remaining 15%. Although bones of hadrosaurs and ceratopsians are well represented by skeletal remains at the locality, their eggshells have yet to be identified. The relative abundance of the taxa represented by eggshells at NMMNH L-4010, with those of theropods being by far the most common, is comparable to that observed in the more northern late Campanian microsites of Dinosaur Provincial Park, Alberta.

KW - Crocodilian

KW - Eggshell

KW - Fruitland formatio

KW - Theropod dinosaur

KW - Turtle

KW - Vertebrate microsite

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=79952554684&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1080/08912963.2010.499171

DO - 10.1080/08912963.2010.499171

M3 - Article

AN - SCOPUS:79952554684

VL - 23

SP - 41

EP - 55

JO - Historical Biology

JF - Historical Biology

SN - 0891-2963

IS - 1

ER -